Brigitte E. Lifschitz, LCSW
I began my first career as a choral conductor, singer and professor of sight-singing and ear-training at Mannes College, Hunter College and SUNY Purchase. There came a time, however, when I became much more interested in helping people who had difficulty with performance anxiety and related self–esteem problems. This interest led to my decision to become a psychotherapist.
I was initially trained in Modern Psychoanalysis and then became a Licensed Clinical Social Worker after receiving an MSW from Hunter College. Over time, however, I felt that talk therapy alone could not accomplish all the changes that my clients were striving for. In 1998 I completed the 100-hour Training Course in Ericksonian Hypnosis at the NY Milton H. Erickson Society for Psychotherapy and Hypnosis (NYSEPH). In 2000 I became President of NYSEPH, a position that lasted until 2011. I was also the Co-Director of Training from 2008 until 2012. At the present time, I am a Consultant for The American Society for Clinical Hypnosis (ASCH) and remain on the faculty of NYSEPH.
My approach to psychotherapy is varied and flexible. Along with talk therapy, I incorporate Ericksonian hypnosis, EMDR (Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing Technique) Levels 1 and 2, as well as EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique- Tapping) into my work with clients who are interested in these techniques. These are tools that can help people find their own true “voice”.
I work with individuals on PTSD, depression, anxiety, sleep problems, panic attacks, phobias, habit control and physical problems such as pain and discomfort from injury, chemotherapy or surgery; I utilize Palsson’s protocol for IBS. I also work with couples and families to help them overcome their interpersonal difficulties and reevaluate their relationships.
You have a wealth of inner resources for self-improvement, growth and change. My goal is to provide you with a gentle and safe environment that enables you to connect to these inner strengths. It is a privilege for me to travel down this path of challenges and rewards with you, on your journey towards self-realization. You may not know that you already have many of the answers and the skills you need to reach your goals. It is sometimes a matter of lowering the volume on the negative inner messages that you hear every day, while reframing more positively, the way you look at the world around you.
Degrees and Certifications
- Barnard College, MA
- The Mannes College of Music: Diploma in Choral Conducting
- Queens College: MA in Orchestral Conducting
- Hunter School of Social Work: MSW in Clinical Social Work
Certificates and Training
- Psychoanalytic Training in Modern Psychoanalysis
- Certificate in Ericksonian Hypnosis at the NY Milton H. Erickson Society for Psychotherapy and Hypnosis (NYSEPH )
- American Society for Clinical Hypnosis (ASCH): Consultant
- EMDR Levels 1 and 2 with Laurel Parnell
- EFT (Tapping) training course
Fluent French; Conversant in Spanish
- The NY Milton H. Erickson Society for Psychotherapy and Hypnosis (NYSEPH)
- American Society for Clinical Hypnosis
- NY State Society of Clinical Social Work
- The Psychotherapy and Training Collective of New York
- National Association of Social Workers